Sunday, March 25, 2007

What a tangled web

Thanks to my stealth correspondent (he prefers to fly under the radar) for this tip: adding to the increasingly complex web of relationships between the major B2B media companies in Asia, we see that IDG and CMP Technology have now hooked up on a Shanghai version of the Game Developer Conference. I'll have to map this all out one of these days but there are now direct connections in Asia between IDG, Reed, CMP, Penton, Global Sources, Cybermedia. We don't need to go anywhere near to 6 degrees of separation to link them all together.

That GDC is an interesting event. I remember hearing reports of its San Jose origins 10 years ago during my Miller Freeman days. 3,000 attendees, mainly young men with high IQs, poor social skills and strange tastes in literature, all getting together in one place. Recipe for all sorts of 'unusual' things. I wonder how Shanghai will compare.

P.S. In choosing this title, for those of you who know the second line of the quote, I wasn't intending to suggest anything bad about deception. It's just getting incredibly complicated to keep track of all these links. I need to get mapping!

No comments: