Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Why Asia is important to the future of B2B media

They may be designing and announcing the iPhones in California (I want one, NOW, or I'll throw my Blackberry out of the pram), but it is, of course, in Asia that they're making all this stuff. In terms of phones, it will also be in Asia that they're using them with 400 million+ mobile phones in China and India coming up fast.

Further to my post the other day about the number of Internet users in Asia, I was interested to see this piece on the PanAsiaBiz blog where Bill Belew expresses his suprises that 96% of the world's computers are now produced in Asia. That low? Why are any still produced in Europe I wonder?

Here, in descending order, is the top 10 he has identified of computer manufacturing:

10. South America - 0.05%
9. Europe - 2.2%
8. North America - 1.4%
7. Thailand - 0.04%
6. Singapore - 0.5%
5. Philippines - 0.7%
4. Malaysia - 0.9%
3. Japan - 2.5%
2. South Korea - 4.1%
1. China - 79.2%

No comments: